Use of Tobacco Products
This policy is in effect for all persons on the Richland campus.
- Richland College is a smoke- and tobacco-free campus, except as permitted in the “four designated areas.” In addition, the sale of tobacco products on campus is prohibited.
- The four designated areas are: north west corner of Pecos and west side of Wichita, and north east corner of Fannin and south east side of Medina. (Map with designated smoking areas)
- Ash tray urns displaying appropriate signs are placed on the inside perimeter of all parking lots, reminding students, staff, and community visitors that Richland is a smoke-free/tobacco-free campus except in the five designated locations.
- In compliance with National Junior College Athletic Association and Chamber Classic Soccer Alliance, Inc. policies and regulations, tobacco use is prohibited from all athletic fields on the Richland campus.
- Richland College Police may issue citations for violations of smoking/tobacco use regulations promulgated by Richland College.
- The twelve month “year” regarding citations begins on August 1 and ends on July 31 of each calendar year.
- All paid citations will be purged from the system on August 1 of each year.
- The college citation fees are as follows: 1st citation - $5; 2nd citation - $15; 3rd citation - $20; 4th citation - $25; 5th citation and beyond - $30.
- Citation fees will progress through the fee schedule and include all other citations on file with the College Police department. A person may return to the lower fee structure on August 1 of each year if all previous fees for citations on file with the College Police department have been paid.
- After the second citation has been issued and remains unpaid, a block will be placed on a student's record. A Richland College/DCCCD faculty and staff member's supervisor will be notified of issued and unpaid citations.
- Appeals of College citations shall be in accordance with provisions of the DCCCD Board of Trustees Policy CHC (Local), Suspension Review. To appeal a College citation:
- Obtain a Notice of Appeal form from the College Police;
- Complete the form and state the reasons for such appeal; and
- Within ten (10) days after the date of the violation, submit the form to the Vice President for Student Development.