Admission Requirements are based on the following education and experience:
Health Information Technology / Management professionals:
- Associate degree or higher from a CAHIIM accredited college or two years of experience or combination.
- Minimum two years IT education or two years IT experience.
- Two years experience related to health information, database management, MIS,HIS, communications, technology, healthcare delivery, or electronic data interchange OR
- Currently employed at the VA, DoD, IHS, or military base with healthcare or IT experience
Physician Office Setting
- One year experience related to physician practice management, coding, billing, related experience.
- Associate degree or higher in a healthcare related field OR
- Two years experience directly related to health information management or healthcare IT systems
Richland College offers the Practice Workflow and Redesign Specialist, and Implementation and Technical Support Specialist programs in an intensive online continuing education format designed for self motivated, experienced Health Care and IT professionals that can be completed in less than two (2) semesters.
Upon completion of the program, graduates are expected to sit for the national competency exam developed by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Graduates will find employment with health care institutions, physician offices, and vendors of EHRs.
Students may select from the following continuing education programs:
- Practice workflow and information management redesign specialist
- Implementation and Technical Support Specialist
- Qualified applicants must meet pre-assessment criteria (Documentation of a "C" average or above in previous college coursework, or approved scores on college assessment exams).
- Qualified applicants must have background experience in IT or Healthcare.
- Qualified applicants must have basic computer and software knowledge.
- Submit application, resume, and college transcripts to LiAnne Webster via email, fax, or, mail at LianneWebster@dcccd.edu, Fax: 972-761-6793, Richland College, 12800 Abrams Rd., Dallas, TX 75243. Please send all correspondence to the attention of LiAnne Webster, School of Mathematics, Science and Health Professions.
This program does not lead to an AAS in Health Information Technology and courses are non-transferable.