Texas Success Initiative (TSI)
The Texas Success Initiative is a state mandated program designed to help colleges and universities determine studentsí readiness for college-level coursework in the general areas of reading, writing and mathematics. All incoming college students in Texas are required to take the TSI Assessment unless you qualify for a TSI exemption. A Dual Credit Advisor will use the results of the college placement scores to determine your readiness for college level enrollment through the Dual Credit program.
Furthermore, the TSI program helps determine what type of developmental courses or interventions will best meet needs of students to become better prepared for college level course work. Once a student successfully completes the highest level of development coursework in required area of reading, writing, and/or math with an A, B, or C, the student may enroll in college-level courses. Developmental courses are not considered for dual credit, but they are considered for college credit only. Therefore, developmental courses are not eligible for tuition waivers. High school students enrolling in developmental courses, in order to improve their academic skills, must pay for the college tuition and the required textbooks and/or software.
- SAT: A student has an SAT composite score of 1070, with a minimum of 500 on the math and critical reading portions of the test. Test score must be less than 5 years old and achieved in one sitting. Partial exemption is allowed if the Composite score is 1070 and the minimum score of 500 is met in one of the individual areas. Student would need to test in the area not exempt.
- ACT: A student has an ACT composite score of 23 with a minimum of 19 in both the math and English portions of the test. Scores must be less than 5 years old and achieved in one sitting. Partial exemption is allowed if the Composite score is 23 and the minimum score of 19 is met in one of the individual areas. Student would need to test in the area not exempt.
- STAAR (EOC): minimum score of Level 2 on the English III shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment required under this title for both reading and writing, and a minimum score of Level 2 on the Algebra II EOC shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment required under this title for the mathematics section. Scores must be less than 5 years old.
- TAKS: A student has an 11th grade TAKS score with a minimum of English Language Arts 2200 and a writing sample of a 3. Both minimum scores are required to meet placement for reading and writing. TAKS math score of 2200 will exempt a student in math. Scores must be less than 5 years old.
Other Dual Credit Eligibility Requirements/TSI Exemptions
There are other Dual Credit eligibility requirements and TSI exemptions approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Dual Credit students may receive a TSI waiver based upon the eligibility requirements below.
- PSAT: a combined score of 107 on the PSAT/NMSQT with a minimum of 50 on the critical reading and/or mathematics test(s) relevant to the courses to be attempted
- PLAN: a composite score of 23 on the PLAN with a 19 or higher in Mathematics and English
- Have enrolled in a Level-One certificate program or non-degree seeking waiver
Students should discuss their options with a Dual Credit Advisor regarding eligibility for the Dual Credit program.