Self Advising Q&A

Although we have professional advisors in Thunderduck Hall, room T-180, here are some resources to assist in the advising/registration process when it isn't possible to consult with an advisor.

1. What is a core curriculum and what does it mean to me?
All publicly funded colleges and universities in the state of Texas require a core curriculum and by law must accept each other's core curriculum when taken in its entirety. That means if you take the entire core curriculum listed in the schedule/catalog at any DCCCD school (Core Curriculum), it will satisfy the core curriculum at a Texas state funded university. Many students may wish to take the core here regardless of whether they have decided upon a major.

2. What if I plan to transfer to a college with a particular major in mind?
Some students have decided upon a university transfer major and wish to follow a course guide of exactly those courses the university has recommended be taken at a community college. These "transfer guides" may be found on the University Transfer Guides page. If the university you are seeking is not found at this link, visit our College Search and be taken directly to their web site. There, you will go to the desired major department to find the curriculum requirements for the freshman and sophomore years. For help translating their course numbers into the DCCCD numbers, visit

3. Where can I find all Associate of Applied Science degrees or Certificate plans offered?
For students who wish to pursue an Associate in Applied Science degree or Certificate, curriculum guides may be found in the Degree Plans. There you will find Richland's (along with other colleges offering the same options) career and technical degrees/certificates for the workforce. Associate degree and certificate options for the entire Dallas County Community College District may be found in the Degree Plans (by Location).

4. Where can I continue my education after receiving the Associate in Applied Science Degree?
Those who wish to continue their career and technical education beyond the applied associate degree and/or certificate may pursue a Bachelor of Applied Science degree from schools like Amberton, Dallas Baptist, DeVry, LeTourneau, Northwood, University of North Texas, University of Phoenix, and University of Texas at Arlington. Transfer information for several of these schools is located in Degree Plan Information.

5. Are there any additional advising resources available online?
In addition to the sources above, a comprehensive list of advising resources can be found in the Online Advising Resource Manual.

6. What additional student support services are offered at Richland?
Successful students take advantage of the many free resources offered at Richland. Visit our Current Students webpage for a comprehensive list of student support services. Here are only a few:

7. How do I determine the number of courses I should take per semester?
Choose the number of courses to take based upon your work hours and other factors in your life. Planning for the number of study hours outside class is equally as important as the number of hours sitting in the classroom. We recommend two study hours outside class for every hour in class (depending upon the subject's level of difficulty.) Successful students start slowly when in doubt and take fewer classes over the whole year.

Some students feel they must take a full load (12 hours) because of health insurance mandates. A Texas law passed in 2001 specifies that any insurance company that is publicly funded may not deny health insurance to a college or university student under 25 years of age based upon the number of class hours taken. If you are on financial aid; however, check to see if there is a required number of hours for your scholarship, loan, or grant funding. International students may also have hourly requirements.

Copyright © 2015 Richland College | DCCCD