FAQ's - Admissions

  1. Q: I am having trouble logging into eConnect. What do I need to do?

  2. A: To log into eConnect, all of your information, including the correct spelling of your name, student ID number, date of birth, and email address must be accurate and on file in Admissions. Also, your name and ID number must be in the eConnect Registry. Request that your name be added to the Registry online through eConnect or at the front counter in Admissions.

  3. Q: How do I login to eConnect?

  4. A: In order to log in to eConnect, youíll need a password. Create one yourself online through eConnect. First choose "Set Up My eConnect Account" and it will prompt you through the login process. Trouble with the Challenge Question? Go to Admissions and ask them to RESET your challenge question. You can access eConnect one to two hours after it has been reset.

  5. Q: I need a copy of my official DCCCD transcript. How do I get it and how long will it take?

  6. A: Official transcripts can be requested online through eConnect or by presenting a photo ID and completing a transcript request form at the Admissions Counter in Thunderduck Hall. Transcripts requested online are processed within 48 hours. Transcripts requested in person are available on demand.

  7. Q: I did my enrollment application online. What do I do now?

  8. A: If you have not received a confirmation with instructions, you need to contact the Admissions Office or go to the front counter in Admissions. You will receive information about how to be assessed, advised, and registered for classes. Be sure to submit official transcripts from your high school and/or colleges and universities you have attended.

  9. Q: Do I have to complete Texas Success Initiative (TSI) assessment testing before I can register for classes?

  10. A: Yes

    New to College Students

    All students must be assessed in reading, writing, math, and computer literacy unless exempt or waived. Click here to learn how to prepare for the tests, to determine which tests you will need to take, and to print your test referral. You will not be able to participate in the mandatory Orientation-Advisement-Registration (OAR) Session until you have completed assessment testing or have been determined to not need assessment testing. You may sign up for an OAR Session at any time, but you must be accepted as a student and complete the assessment process before attending the OAR session.

    Transfer or Former Students

    Submit official transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges or universities attended outside of the Dallas County Community College District (DCCCD). (This is DCCCD Board Policy regardless of whether or not you intend to earn a degree at Richland.) The transcripts will be reviewed to determine if TSI requirements are met. If additional assessment testing is required to meet certain course placement or prerequisites see an academic advisor. If you have questions, please e-mail RLCTSICoordinator@dcccd.edu.

  11. Q: I tried to register online for classes, but can't. Why can't I?

  12. A: Here are the most common reasons:

    1. You havenít taken the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) placement test.
    New students must take an approved TSI placement test to assess their basic skills in reading, math and writing, unless waived or exempt. (Must submit proof of exemptions or waiver to Admissions/Student Records in T-170.)

    2. Youíre a new to college student.
    After assessment testing or submitting TSI exemptions to Admissions/Student Records in T-170, new to college students must attend an Orientation-Advisement-Registration (OAR) Session. You will be advised and registered at this session.

    3. You have academic or financial blocks on your student record.
    Continuing students must have a TSI status, be in good standing, and have no academic or financial blocks on their student record.

    4. You have fewer than 12 hours of college-level credit, and you havenít taken the Learning Framework (EDUC 1300) class and/or an approved computer science course, or passed the computer literacy test.
    If youíre not sure if you need the Learning Framework (EDUC 1300) and/or a computer science class, visit with an advisor. If you know you need to take the Learning Framework class and/or the computer science class and want to register online using eConnect, you may do so, as long as the Learning Framework (EDUC 1300) and computer science classes are included on your list of desired classes. Approved computer science classes for students who choose not to test are: COSC 1301, COSC 1401, BCIS 1405, ITSC 1401, and POFI 1301. Other course options are open to students who test but who do not pass the appropriate sections. Contact an academic advisor for a computer literacy course recommendation based on your educational goals.

    5. You owe money to the DCCCD.
    You need to visit the college Business Office in T-140 and pay your balance before you can register online.

    6. You havenít met the prerequisite for each of your classes.
    You may register online for those classes where the course prerequisite has been met and is recorded in your student record. For transfer students, we must have received and evaluated your official transcript so that the prerequisite course is part of your DCCCD student record. (Register through an advisor if your transcript has not been evaluated.) If unsure about course prerequisites, check course descriptions here.

    7. You have a student ID number, but you havenít completed the credit admissions process.
    If you have taken a continuing education class at a DCCCD college Ė even a class your parents signed you up for when you were a child Ė you have a DCCCD student ID number. However, you canít register for credit classes until you complete an application for admission through Apply Texas or fill out a paper application to turn in to Admissions Office, T170, and are accepted. (A student who has been assigned a student ID number may not complete the DCCCD online application for admission.)

  13. Q: What are the criteria for registering online?

  14. A: Your student record must reflect:

    • Academic standing of "Good"
    • A TSI status in reading, writing, and math
    • No blocks
    • A valid e-mail address

  15. Q: I want to register for classes. What do I need to do first?

  16. A: New to college students will participate in academic advising and register for classes at Richlandís required Orientation, Advisement, and Registration - OAR Session. As you will be registering for classes at the OAR Session, you must have completed an application for admission and have taken assessment tests BEFORE attending your OAR Session. Sign up here to attend an OAR session. You may sign up for an OAR Session at any time, but you must be accepted as a student and complete the assessment process before attending the OAR session.

    NOTE: Dual credit, Richland Collegiate High School, ESOL, and Emeritus students will be advised and registered through other advising areas of the college and are not required to attend an OAR Session.)

    Transfer and Former Students are advised primarily on a drop-in basis during peak registration time periods. Appointments are accepted only during non-peak registration times. Please allow a minimum of two hours to complete the advisement and registration process. You may be eligible to self-advise and register online. Log into www.eConnect.dcccd.edu to view the online registration requirements. To participate in academic advising, you must have an Advising Report that has been printed within 48 hours of your session and a photo ID. Print your Advising Report online through eConnect or obtain a copy at the front counter of the Admissions Office, T-170.

  17. Q: My address has changed, how do I change it at the school?

  18. A: Present proof of your address change at the front counter in the Admissions Office. Be sure to update your email address and phone numbers, if necessary.

  19. Q: I am considered a non-Texas resident. How do I establish residency?

  20. A: One must be an independent (not claimed as a dependent for federal income tax purposes)
    U. S. citizen, permanent resident or international student who is eligible to establish a domicile in Texas, and live in the state of Texas for 12 consecutive months, and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment. (If you are claimed as a dependent, your residency must be established by a parent or legal guardian.)

  21. Q: How do I establish a domicile in Texas?

  22. A: A domicile in Texas is presumed if documentation of at least one of the following is provided:

    1. Statement of dates of employment in Texas (beginning and current or ending dates) that encompass at least 12 months issued by the employer and verifying full-time employment status.

    2. For homeless persons, written statements from the office of one or more social service agencies located in Texas that attests to the provision of services to the homeless person for the 12 months prior to the census date of the term in which the person intends to enroll.

    3. Title to real property in Texas purchased at least 12 months prior to the census date of the term in which the person intends to enroll.

    4. Marriage certificate dated at least 12 months prior to the census date of the term in which the person intends to enroll with documentation to support that the spouse is a domiciliary of Texas.

    5. Ownership of business in Texas established at least 12 months prior to the census date of the term in which the person intends to enroll.

    6. State or local license to conduct business issued at least 12 months prior to the census date of the term in which the person intends to enroll.
Copyright © 2015 Richland College | DCCCD